Monday 4 May 2009

A Cracking Good Read...

I love to read...anything and everything...and even as a little girl, I never went anywhere without a book tucked under my arm. (My Facebook WeRead library is on my blog page so you can see what I've been reading, would like to read and some of my favourites...if you're interested, that is). But I digress - the point of all this is that I have decided to re-read a couple of books by one of my all-time favourite authors, Matthew Reilly.

Matthew is an Australian who has written a number of fast-paced action novels (Ice Station, Temple, Contest, Scarecrow to name a few) but the series I have loved best is the Jack West series: Seven Ancient Wonders, Six Sacred Stones and then Five Greatest Warriors which is due for release in Oct 09...with such a long wait for an impatient soul like myself, to help bide the time until this latest book is released, I have embarked on the Seven Ancient Wonders again. And what a book!

The first time I read this, I could not put it down (and finished it at about 3am) and as I curled up on the couch yesterday afternoon, I could feel the same thrill grip me as I joined Jack, Lily and the rest of the team on their hunt for the world's greatest monuments and the 'treasure' within. I love the way the action is combined with history and archaelogy and the suggestion of 'meaning' behind things like the Pyramids at Giza and the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, even though its fiction, just adds to my love of the story.

You'll be pleased to know that I did put it down last night (because J wanted to sleep so - lights out!) and I have just over half left to read...then it will be the Six Sacred Stones and then...a really long wait until October. Matthew, if you're reading this, are you sure you couldn't advance me a copy? Please??

No comments: