Saturday 6 February 2010

I Am Blogger...Hear Me Now???

In this brave new world of blogging I find myself in, reading the mental meanderings of those I've never actually met (and some that I have!!) passes many an idle hour on the commute to and from work.  One of my faves is ad broad, an 'age-less', ad-industry female who claims to be the oldest working writer in advertising - her pithy comments and pointed rantings make me smile...and question...and wonder...and smile again...

Anyhow, I read one of her posts recently - no status update = new status symbol - and it did make me wonder about this societal addiction that has emerged.  Letting everyone know what you are doing at random moments on every available medium and presuming that the 'world out there' will be fascinated by this.  

Isn't this just the ultimate in attention-seeking, diva behaviour? 

There has been this absolute transformation from the parental edict 'seen and not heard' that I remember to this kind of cyber-showing off - this urge to have something to say, and be heard, all of the time. 

I wonder about the backlash against this that she blogs about.  Some of my friends have emailed me saying they have closed their Facebook accounts and I'm still wondering about the whole Twitter thing myself (I have a twitter-toe dipped in the water though - you can find me - sporadically - under giddayfromtheuk) but I don't see this surge to social media and the more, quicker, better race for status-updating technologies that surrounds it abating anytime soon.

I'm not sure where my feelings really lie.  I like Facebook and love blogging and if there are no comments in response to my updates and posts for a period of time, I feel slightly bereft.  And some of my fellow bloggers are thought-provoking, funny, irreverent, inspiring and completely generous in allowing me to peek into their worlds. But I worry a bit about the 'behaviour' social media seems to generate - the constant 'I have something to say/Hear me now!'. 

After all, it's a big world out there - and who REALLY cares? 

No comments: