Sunday 23 May 2010

Weird Science...

I was reading my free issue of Stylist this week when I came across a small box containing 'random science facts'.  My curiosity piqued, I read on to discover:

a) there are more living organisms on the skin of a single human being than there are human beings on the surface of the Earth (what, there are other human beings below the surface??)

b) the microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket (what was it doing in his pocket - chocolate is for eating?)

c) an inflated balloon contains about a hundred billion trillion air molecules (I can't even imagine this number but that's quite a lot, isn't it?)

and

d) our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing (I don't know whether to be worried about all the little porkies I've told or to try and measure my eyes!)

These facts (and some other ones too) were all courtesy of the Science Museum promoting something called Who Am I? which apparently opens on June 26th.  Which all sounded very erstwhile and count-on-able (and maybe even worth a visit) until I re-read fact number one in the box:

Scientists don't know what makes up 90% of the Universe!

Might just stay at home....

No comments: