Sunday 17 April 2011

Let Me Eat Cake...

I thought it was about time for me to report on my efforts so far in The Great Bake Off

I have to confess it's not been a frenzy of culinary activity and after an incredibly slow start, there has only been a slight acceleration in pace this year.  But I've managed three successes out of three and have become 'sold' on the whole concept of planning a Sunday afternoon baking 'sesh'.

It started out in October last year with Pineapple and Banana Loaf, followed by my inspired return from Christmas in Australia and the even more inspired Mango Fruit Cake adventure in March.  Today's sunny Sunday success is Apple and Raspberry Squares...

Yes, that is evidence of my choppers tucking in for a little taste...

Whilst not wishing to brag at all (ok, maybe a little bit), I appear to have 'mastered' the whole cake with fruit thing so in the spirit in which My Year of Baking was born (ie. to remove the mystery from baking in all its forms), I promise to move into uncharted territory next time (maybe chocolate, pastry?)...although Easter is next week, and if I manage to find a substitute for mixed peel (I am allergic to oranges - but not lemons, limes, grapefruit - go figure), I might just need to give Hot Cross Buns a whirl...

So does anyone know where I can get candied lemon peel in SW London?  Anyone?  There could be a cuppa and a potentially decent Easter Bun in it for you....

1 comment:

Linda A. said...

Oh you are brave, very brave indeed. I enjoy cooking, but anything more than the occasional baking puts me in a tailspin.