Thursday 16 February 2012

Arrivals...

A few weeks back I read a post over on 4 Kids, 20 Suitcases and a Beagle, Arrivals or Departureswhere Australian serial expat Kirsty shared her love of the Arrivals Hall. 

It struck a chord. The anticipation of seeing loved ones, the joy and the relief (particularly if you meet anyone coming off a flight from Oz) of even the most seasoned traveller in arriving at last. The excitement of embarking on new adventures, renewing old acquaintances and reinforcing the deepest connections of the heart. That moment when time and distance disappears and suddenly you can see, hear, touch each other for real.

No matter what the advances modern technology provides - and the advent of Skype is a wonderful thing, if I could only get them all the way down there on it - nothing beats that moment.

And my moment will come later today. Just before 9pm tonight, Egypt Air flight 9230 will touch down at Heathrow Airport and deliver my lovely Mum to me. To hear, see, touch for real. For a whole 10 days.


I'm excited.

1 comment:

Alien said...

Mum's the word, then? Hear from you in ten days or so :-D