Wednesday 26 December 2012

The Heat Is On...

Some of you may know that I have ventured Down Under for the festive season this year. Well Christmas has been done, with many a cold cut and cooling beverage and much SPF30 application. Yes folks, it's warm!

Since my arrival on Sunday in 38.3C, I have been marvelling at how poorly I handle the heat now, particularly when I must do more than lie by the pool and read. But I will do my best to aclimatise so that I can return to the UK glorious and glowing...so that I can rub your noses in it cover it all up with winter woollies.

We've been out and about a bit with a Boxing Day trip down to my old stomping ground, Frankston, to see the Sand Sculptures again (more on this in a later post peeps). Suffice to say everything and nothing has changed since I lived there almost 20 years ago...

Frankston Pier hasn't changed a bit and I remember many a walk along it as a teenager at the end of a day at the beach with friends. It looks empty here but it was buzzing with people about an hour later.
Kananook Creek has had a real makeover with picnic spots and a boardwalk up to the beach. It was not so nice when I was living here.
Boating is big here and in my youth there was many a day spent water-ski-ing or fishing (well that's the boys fishing and me lying on the front bit of the boat getting a tan).
And under yesterday's summery skies, there was nothing for it but to have some fish and chips under a shady tree for lunch.
 
 That's a nice piece of blue grenadier nestled against a yummy corn jack and scrumptious chips. And in the background, that's a can of Creaming Soda, not really to my taste but I've been on an Australian foodie nostalgia trip - aka 'oooh I haven't had that for yeeeeeears!' - since I arrived.
Lil Chicky has just arrived and we are off for a day of pampering and relaxing together so hope your Christmas has been a good one and you are making the most of whatever the season has to offer wherever you are.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love reading about how everything has changed/is still the same. Guess it's nostalgia time :)

Unknown said...

It certainly is Linda. Hope you've had a great Christmas.

Jack Scott said...

The sun is shining, the sea is warm and the barbie is sizzling - must be awful for you! ;-)

Unknown said...

These are the trials I must endure Jack...it's tough. Sigh!