Sunday 28 April 2013

Spring Frolic...

This afternoon I hosted a small group of friends at Gidday HQ.

Our quartet - or Fab Four if you like - makes an effort to do something together every month. March saw us venture into The Lost Lectures, February was lunch at The Banana Store and a wander around Borough Market (see my post on London's Hip Pocket for more on this outing) and last year we discovered  some rather delectable delights at Ceviche in London's Soho and beneath Tower Bridge at The Perkin Reveller.

It has been such a busy time for our little quartet that there was a danger of April slipping away without a Fab Four frolic. So I took matters into my own hands and invited my trio of lovely ladies for a Gidday soiree on the back patio.

To my delight (and great relief) the weather stayed dry and while it was a trifle chilly, I had blankets and wraps on hand. There was even much excitement when the sun made a cursory appearance between main course and dessert and for a few brief minutes, we basked in Spring-like warmth.

I learnt years ago that the key to being able to enjoy hosting these events is being prepared - I have no desire to be stuck in the kitchen while my guests are having all of the fun.  So we started proceedings with a vegetable platter, an avocado dip and some Mediterranean bread and seeded crackers for dipping - and I got to enjoy the wine and conversation, both of which flowed effortlessly.

To follow was a cheese and vegetable pastry-less quiche which went down a storm and after part-baking this morning, only need another 20mins in the oven. It came with a big bowl of green salad (easy to whip up) and some fresh vine tomatoes marinated in a light dressing (made last night) all of which meant I spent more time at the table...and drank more wine.

But the thing I am most proud of is my dessert - individual ginger and white chocolate cheesecakes...


..built to frame the cute champagne candles I had found in Tesco a couple of weeks ago and complete with golden 'bubbles'. And made last night meaning even more time at the table for me this afternoon.

Before long, over three hours had passed, the coffees had been finished and it was time for my visitors to go.

It was such a pleasant Sunday afternoon and it reminded me how much I love to cook for other people, an opportunity that needs to be 'manufactured' in my time of singledom versus being ever-present - as it was - when I was part of a couple. And in any case, solo cooking exploits can be quite dangerous. Prior experience tells me that one cannot should not consume cheesecake (or any baked goods for that matter) on one's own and still expect to fit into one's jeans. Sharing is definitely the key.

So here's to more Spring Sundays with fabulous friends, scrumptious sustenance and convivial conversation.

No comments: