Sunday 29 June 2014

Leave A Light On For Me...

I was browsing through my general clever clogs emails this week and came across a bit of a gem from Springwise.com.  

Placelamp is a desk lamp which changes colour according to the owner's status.

Image source: www.pixelonomics.com
You link the lamp with an app on your phone and you can program it to do all sorts of things - colour intensifies when you are closer and becomes a 'reading' lamp while at your desk. You can also set it to change to various colours according to your status eg. out of the office or even to reflect incoming emails or messages. Cool huh?

Anyway I got a bit excited and started looking at all of these other lamps and there's some pretty amazing stuff out there.

This is the Titanic lamp from Viable London...


It was designed by Charles Trevelyan in 2005 and while it doesn't seem like it's for sale any more, it was such a great design that I just had to share it.

This next one's the Martyr, a playful energy saver designed by UK design studio The Play Coalition in 2008...its sense of fun made me giggle.

And for the slightly morbid, here's Hung - he (or she?) has been created by enPieza! and will set you back about €185...gulp! Game of Hangman anyone?


At the opposite end of the spectrum I found this cute cottontail on that most excellent of inspired-gift-giving websites, not on the high street. The Bunny lamp is available from All Things Brighton Beautiful for £69.95.


I meandered further and discovered an illuminating and spirited trio.

First, I found Whoopsy from Lumisource which reminded me of that deliciously intoxicating flow from cocktail shaker to glass - available in four fab flavours colours for just $24.95.

Next it was this upcycled Beefeater London Gin lamp from AfterGlowsbyStacey. She makes all sorts of spirit brands light up but I loved the mix of vibrant colour and London tradition combined with the whole upcycling vibe best. It caught my eye on Etsy for the bargain price of £20.


And the last in this alcohol-fuelled triumvariate was San Remo, an oriental inspired shade made from a whole load of paper cocktail umbrellas. It's bottoms up from Zipper8Lighting and Etsy again for £72.34


This whole upcycling thing intrigued me so I mosey-ed around a bit further on this and got a bit excited about this recycled book lamp shade from the 'make-it-yourself' website, Instructables - you can download the instructions here for making this little beauty.


I wasn't really sure how I could do that with my Kindle though so the last one I found was absolutely perfect. The Andrew Lang NOD has a slot for Audrey (that's the Kindle for the Gidday uninitiated), a nook for my glasses and a third cranny for...well something else. It's available from Emmo Home for $220. Yikes!


Strangely enough, all of this inspiration just reminded of an old favourite. 

I saw it in a store about 18 years ago in Melbourne, the store lights glinting invitingly off the glass beads. Struck by its classically elegant shape, I paid and took it home and it stood on the table near my purple reading chair for more than seven years before I lugged it across the world, added an adapter and found it a new home.  

It is the first thing I see when I open the front door. There's a place for my bag on the table beside it and, when I turn it on, the beads tinkle gently as my hand brushes past before the room is suffused in a soft glow. 


But best of all? 

It tells me I am home. 

No comments: